Waldo just posted The State Decoded 0.8 Release. This is a *huge* update that we’ve spent the last few months working on. 577 changed files, 127,076 additions, 5,123 deletions. That’s a lot of code.
There are a few pieces I would have liked to squeeze into this update, like abstracting the XML import to make JSON importing more user-friendly, and cleaning up the admin system – but those will come for the 1.0 release. Which is pretty close on the horizon.
In the meantime, check out the 0.8 release of State Decoded on Github!
I ran into an issue with a Solr configuration that was working for me locally, but not on our CentOS 6.4 server. I’ve documented below all of the issues I encountered along the way, as the upgrade from Solr 4.2 to 4.3+ is a pretty nasty one, due to major changes in the logging system (LOG4J / SLF4J)
A few months back, there was a rather interesting discussion on Reddit about different internet technologies. I put the following comment together as a bit of historical perspective. In retrospect, it’s probably not 100% accurate, and a bit or a rant, but I figured other people might find it interesting.
I’ve just made my first official launch for the OpenGov Foundation. We’ve been hard at work pushing new law codes up online, and we’ve just released San Francisco’s! Have a look, and please let us know if you find anything broken!
I’ve been working with our local Legal Aid office for most of my career – their website was one of the first ones I ever worked on, in fact. Over the last few months, I’ve been working with Charmed Designworks to create a new site for LAJC. Behind the scenes, we’ve switched over to WordPress and are using some really nice SASS + Compass to make styling a breeze.
Legal Aid Justice Center new website