Mission Operations Lead at the Office of the Federal CIO, Office of Management and Budget (OMB / White House).
Previously: USDS at the VA, Sunlight Foundation, OpenGov Foundation, etc.
Enthusiastic about Transparency, Civic Tech, Open Data, and Tea. More about me.
Waldo just posted The State Decoded 0.8 Release. This is a *huge* update that we’ve spent the last few months working on. 577 changed files, 127,076 additions, 5,123 deletions. That’s a lot of code.
I ran into an issue with a Solr configuration that was working for me locally, but not on our CentOS 6.4 server. I’ve documented below all of the issues I encountered along the way, as the upgrade from Solr 4.2 to 4.3+ is a pretty nasty one, due to major changes in the logging system (LOG4J / SLF4J)
A few months back, there was a rather interesting discussion on Reddit about different internet technologies. I put the following comment together as a bit of historical perspective. In retrospect, it’s probably not 100% accurate, and a bit or a rant, but I figured other people might find it interesting.
I’ve been working with our local Legal Aid office for most of my career – their website was one of the first ones I ever worked on, in fact. Over the last few months, I’ve been working with Charmed Designworks to create a new site for LAJC. Behind the scenes, we’ve switched over to WordPress and are using some really nice <a href=”http://sass-lang.com” SASS CSS Preprocessor”>SASS</a> + Compass to make styling a breeze.